Trouser News!

And it is good trouser news...

So, I went to Toronto last month (hence the brief hiatus. Sorry), and managed to get some serious, serious fabric bargains. There are a few shops on and around Queen Street which offer incredible prices on genuinely lovely fabric. Wools, silks, linens, even some thread and notions, and they were CHEAP.

One of the bargains I got was some gorgeous superfine wool tabby, for the equivalent of £7.50 per metre. The lady at the shop even burn tested it without prompting, and was very helpful to me and Madame while we were having a poorly day. Shout out to Fabric By Designers for their helpfulness!


So nice. So soft. So wool.

This stuff is beautifully soft, drapes gorgeously, and I grabbed a yard and a half of it to make my Viking trousers, because it's ideal! I wish I'd bought more now...ah well!

I measured them based off my housemate's pair, as I mentioned in an earlier post, as they're ideal in terms of the look they provide.


Legs, seat/crotch piece, and two gussets. Top!

Cutting was a breeze, so I now have a pair of nice rectangles for legs measuring 40" by 31", with a 4" rise in the seat. The crotch/seat piece is 24", shortened from a frankly preposterous 34", with two 4" gussets.

The pants my housemate has are just two tubes, no crotch, but I think that the additional piecing and construction help, and give a better look to my efforts. From my research, as I said, I'm pretty sure a more complex construction would have been standard as well.



They're massive! MASSIVE!
                         
                         
THEY ARE THE BIGGEST TROUSERS IN THE WORLD!

Seriously, they're huge.

Big.



They gather just right at the waist, and at the knees they gather almost as I want them to. Within my self-imposed evidence based authenticity, I'm happy with them. The wool is as good as I could have found, the pieces and construction are based as closely on period garments as my hands and head could handle, and they are comfy as anything!

Sewing these bad boys up this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources: The Old English Hexateuch

The Insane Llangors Textile

Regency Velvet. Rawr.