Silk Tunic Update

The pink tunic has had a LOT of work done to it.

The neckline was chopped a little too deep, so I decided to put a fairly typical 11th century facing on it. I used some pale blue linen for it because, as the wonderful Isabel Northwode suggested, linen is a bastard to dye deep colours.



The eventual aim is to get this thing embroidered with pearls, silks, rich designs and the like, but for now, dearest interpeople, I just want it wearable!

The drape of the tunic works nicely. It's a touch snug for my current under tunic, so I may need to wear it "commando" or make a more snug undershirt for it, which is OK, because I have a linen stash and itchy fingers!



The bottom hem. Now the rub appears! Remember my last post about the Old English Hexateuch? Well, I kind of fell in love with those side-split, trimmed tunics, so this bad lad is going to be one!

I know, I know, it's a bit of a fanciful piece of kit considering how much evidence we have for silk tunics, but you know what? This is a hobby. If I want to make a somewhat overly rich garment made of a very expensive period fabric then I will, OK?

Good. It's going to be gorgeous!

The arms are a tiny bit iffy. The seams do pull a little on the back stitch I've used, so they're going to be felled and reinforced once I can find or dye some silk thread a nice, matching colour.



Next step: hem the sides. HUZZAH CLOTHES.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources: The Old English Hexateuch

The Insane Llangors Textile

Regency Velvet. Rawr.