Regency Velvet. Rawr.

For a Regency Ball being held in Edinburgh last month, I  spent a considerable amount of the last year working on a suit.

A suit. Not a tunic, not a nice, simple cloak and braes. A full three-piece suit. In velvet.

It was bloody awful.

Actually it was a great challenge, really educational, and it's allowed me to learn several new skills! I am now familiar with how suits are put together from the drafting of the pattern up. It's taught me the use of tacking, how to do pad stitching, and how to piece successfully and use grain and piled fabrics properly.

With its shirt and waistcoat. My child!


The velvet was difficult, frayed constantly, and needed to be worked immediately after cutting to prevent it falling apart. This stuff is a challenge for a novice to use, and I recommend finding someone experienced to give you the benefit of their wisdom!

The breeches were pieced heavily to make use of the limited cloth I had available, and they also feature my first ever pocket! They're made up of... (goes to count)...nine pieces of fabric, including the knee and waistbands.

I pulled them up and buttoned the knees after, I swear.



The tailcoat's tails were difficult. It proved hard getting the tails themselves to sit properly and hang at the right angle. Isabel Northwode once again helped a great deal with that and the fittings. I'm planning on running some embroidery across the top of the tails themselves to cover any rumpled fabric. Sleeves were set in by Isabel Northwode Costumes, and the M-notch collar and lapels were padded by moi. The coat also features my second ever pocket in the tail!

I hate velvet. Message ends!


I also made a shirt and cravat, but they were very simple and made of linen. Oh linen, how I love thee! The cravat was less than an hour of work, and I think works nicely. It's pressed and folded in half lengthwise for wearing. At some point I'll make a ruffle and starch it for the shirt. Not this day!

Anyhoo. I'm happy with the suit as a whole. There are plenty of things to fix. The seams could be tighter, the collars and revers could be firmer. It should be pressed better and layered properly.

Thanks to Isabel Northwode for this one. And all her help and advice!


It looks amazing. I'm so excited!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources: The Old English Hexateuch

The Insane Llangors Textile